Ever thought about a home addition? Are you living in a home you like, but you need more room? Maybe a home addition is the right choice for you. But where do you start?
Naturally the first step is to identify what you need and to research the kind of addition that will fit your needs. You can add to your home by going up or going out. Whether it is a small addition or a large addition there are many things you will need to know. Here are things that will be important to your project to make sure your addition can be done.
• Call your local city or town building inspector and zoning authority. What specific items are required by building code or zoning law. (If you have hired a General Contractor, they can do this for you).
• Purchase a planning pad (graph paper) and draw up as detailed a floor plan for your addition as you are able to complete. Your plan should include all the features you want, the lighting, and exterior items such as electrical outlets, lighting fixtures, patios, and steps. Be sure to specify the dimensions for bathrooms, closets, walls, windows etc. The more detailed and accurate a drawing you can complete, the easier it will be for the contractor to prepare his estimate.
• You will in most cases need an architect to guide you in the directions you want to be in for your new addition. Keep in mind, however, that most general contractors either have an architect on staff or have an architect that they work with regularly. It may be easier to allow your general contractor to handle
• Before you start any project make sure you have all the costs in place, so that there is no surprise in the end. Before you sign that final contract, unless you’re paying cash, you’ll need to secure a loan.
• A large part of selecting your general contractor has as much to do with comfort level as it does with the price. If you get a good feel for one of the contractors, that is probably as important as anything else. How receptive is the contractor to your questions and wishes? How available is the contractor to your calls? If you have a hard time reaching him now, think about how hard it will be after he has finished the project?
Executive Craftsmen will be happy to answer any questions or come out to your home and guide you in the right direction. Give us a call at 203.324.6383. We are fully licensed with over 30 years of experience.
This entry was posted in Blog, Remodeling and tagged Bathroom Remodeling Fairfield County CT, Executive Craftsman Fairfield County Connecticut, General Contracting Fairfield County CT, General Contractor Stamford CT, General Contractor Westport CT, Home Renovation Fairfield County CT, Patios and Decks Fairfield County CT. Bookmark the permalink.